Severe Weather Tips for Wisconsin Drivers
We may be out of the clear for winter weather but spring is here and with it comes thunderstorms, damaging winds, hail, tornadoes and whatever else it can throw our way. Many of us know and have been trained on what to do in the event of severe weather when we are at work or home but what do we do if we are caught driving during severe weather conditions? Check out these severe weather tips for Wisconsin drivers and be prepared this spring.
Tornado Driving Tips
Do you know what to do if you are driving and spot a tornado? Tornadoes can be scary as they can do a lot of damage very quickly but being out of the road makes you more vulnerable. Check out these tips on what to do if you spot a tornado while driving.
- Do not try to outrun the tornado
- Seek shelter look for a safe structure
- If no shelter is available lie face down in a ditch with your hands over your head
- Be alert for rising waters
Thunderstorm and Hailstorm Driving Tips
Of course, another issue you may run into during the springtime in Wisconsin is thunderstorms, torrential downpours, and hailstorms. Take a look at these severe weather driving tips for thunderstorms and hailstorms.
- Turn on headlights and wipers
- Listen to the radio for information on the storm and traffic updates
- If there is hail, find shelter. Take cover by pulling over under an overpass or bridge
- Turn off cruise control
We hope that you found these severe weather driving tips helpful. If you have young drivers please make sure that they know what to do if caught in any of these situations. If you need your windshield wipers replaced to help with the rainy season please contact us and we can get your replacements! Check out our blog for more helpful tips and tricks.